Thursday, April 20, 2006

"Keep Spinning the Wheel, Eddie..."

It was so nice of my employer-to-be to let me know that I didn't have the job one week beyond our interview. Thanks for telling me during the interview that I had it 'all wrapped up' and you would 'get back to me'. Thanks for letting me call you one week hence and discover that you had already found someone who lived in Modesto to take care of your job rather than my 'marathon' 30 mile commute. Thank you so much.
Back to square one.
Again.
So, what have we learned:
1) I don't care how much money you have saved up, don't leave a job unless you have another one lined up.
2) Either the current job outlook sucks OR I have skills that no one really wants.
3) I will have to be content to be discontent in life.
4) Long John Silvers is looking like a neat place to re-start my career.
5) If you want a decent job, apparently, Tracy is not the place to be.

Out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Yehuda Berlinger said...

Boy, this sounds familiar.

My advice:
Practice meditating. Or dancing.
Get exercise and fresh air.
Keep sending out resumes, contacting friends, and be flexible and positive.
Enjoy your free time and try to make something constructive out of it.

Good luck.

Yehuda

11:21 PM  
Blogger Brian Perez said...

This is the best advice I've received yet! Lessee, I lost my mind and started dancing in the kitchen yesterday - check.
I have started a bike-riding regimen since the sun decided to reappear in our lives this past Monday - check.
Sent out at least a resume a day, often more... contacted friends... but I am not very positive so I have to work on that - semicheck.
I have joined the Central Valley Gamers Association and will play Carcassonne tonight at Hobbytown USA. I don't know if that's very constructive though it will be fun and will take my mind away from this pervasive downer atmosphere that surrounds me of late. The only constructive thing I am doing in my free time is continuing work on my novel - but that goes on and on. Not to mention my poetry. So I guess that's a check.
So, I am holding to your advice. At least as best as I am able. :-)

9:46 AM  
Blogger MaksimSmelchak said...

Hi,

I'm down in Sacto. Look me up and we'll play a game or two.

I'm hosting next weekend if you're interested. I have the public library rec room and generally get a lot of gamers down to play.

Here's my blog:

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

Send me an E-mail and I'll add you to my invite list.

Regarding work: Just keep at it.

And there's nothing wrong with waiting on tables until something better comes along. I've done it before. I've even been a security guard! Paying the bills has a quality of its own.

In the mean time, keep yourself busy through a combination of the job hunt, some exercise and your gaming hobby.

Sitting at home lounging about doing nothing won't help anyone. Keep yourself occupied.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

6:31 PM  
Blogger CCCCppppCCppp said...

This is normal.
One place had me come in twice for all-day
interviews with multiple people and the next
week said that they decided they wanted someone with Win NT experience in addition to the Unix experience I had.

You never know what the internal politics is
or whether you've even met the person who's
going to make the decision.

Or maybe one of your references turned bad.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home