Saturday, September 16, 2006

Where the Hell Have You Been?

Geez, I got a few stories to tell regarding that.
My job has been going well. Busy. Which is always a plus. My car's engine light came on last night on my way home from work, so I have that going for me.
Other than work (and that's a lot) I went to ConQuest SF and ran a game of Twilight Imperium 3rd edition which was a full house (six players). It went famously! I played the Naalu Collective against the L1Z1X Mindnet, the Barony of Letnev, the XX'cha Kingdom, the Yssaril Tribes and another empire that I have forgotten. All I remember is that he played the yellow pieces and loaded up for bear, attacking the Xx'cha Kingdom for over half the game. The game lasted six hours (which is about par for a six player game), but a great time was had by all.
I got these four six-sided dice with my name on the number one spot which was cool. I also bought a T-shirt and a couple games: Zombies!!! and Zombies!!! 2: Zombie Corps(e) as well as two Wings of War expansions: Top Fighters and Recon Patrol. Good times!
I met some friends from Patterson while I was there as well as Phil who was totally wrapped up in his Flames of War games. I played two games of Ra, some Wings of War, Masons, Puerto Rico, and El Grande.
I could only stay for one day (this was over Labor Day weekend) because I had to get to John Peterson's D&D game on Sunday.
The only thing I have to say about that Sunday game is: Flaine is STILL a very accomplished mandolin player regardless of what the intelligentsia of Cauldron may say. Only by the slimmest of margins did my bard, Flaine Gilgahar, rescue the party from certain doom by a mirror image song and Tasha's Hideous Laughter. Pure luck. I would never have considered that that 2nd level spell would have affected a frost giant, but I'll take it. It's good to be the bard!
Today, I am about to test my Soviet army against The Ultimate German Army at the Axis and Allies minis tourney. In just a few hours, we will see if Rob Coulson will retain his title or finally be smitten by an upstart John Hunter with his Perfect Army of Ubermensch. I'll keep you posted on the results.
I ripped my right palm open with a nice laceration while removing a stuck toner cartridge in Modesto last Wednesday. No stitches, thank God. It was just a routine 'toner delivery' mission. And this lady was talking to me at a hundred miles an hour, while ripping the box open and shoving the toner into the Dell M5200 laser printer. Then she realized it didn't feel right so she tried to remove it where she found that it was stuck... hard. After a few minutes of her trying to remove the toner, I moved her aside and told her it would be best to have a professional handle this. So I start yanking and pulling and cussing. She wisely left the room. Sweat cascading down my grimacing face, I removed the printer and placed it on the floor for better leverage. Realizing that I may well destroy the printer, the toner, or both by doing what I was doing, I went ahead and YANKED that toner cartridge out of the printer! It came out. And the plastic guide jutting out of the cartridge went right across my right palm. (I yanked the toner out with my left hand). OOOOWWWWW! Goddamn! Now I have a great aversion to blood, especially my own, so I retained my composure, cleaned out my wound at the nearest restroom and applied first aid from the back of my car in the parking lot. It was really no big deal, but it looks like it'll take a week to completely heal. It turned out that the lady did not remove the orange spacer on the toner before shoving it in there. I have since learned that it would have been a smarter play to remove the fuser from the back of the printer and remove the toner that way. But you live and you learn. Luckily, the printer was not harmed. The plastic guide plate was displaced, but I put it back with little effort.
My roommate is thinking of starting a day-care center in her home (which I happen to share) so I had to go get tested for TB in accordance with California law. I hate needles and I hate blood. So my sacrifice regarding her entrepreneurial success was substantial. I have to go back today to find out if I'm a lunger. I'll keep you posted on that outcome as well.
Next blog entry, I'll talk about the Zombies!!! game I played with my friends up in Yuba City. It was a blast. See ya'll later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home